Did you know that in Autumn, the Kahikatea tree produces masses of delicious sweet berries?
This pack has been assembled to celebrate this amazingly unique native tree! If you’re lucky enough to be teaching or learning in a whanau group/syndicate team/pod or hub which bears its name, then you’re in for a treat.
One worded ‘KAHIKATEA’ throughout
The other worded ‘KŌAKA’ (the Ngai Tahu name for Kahikatea)
Choose the one which best suits your corner of Aotearoa!
• A set of activity pages that explore some of the unique and important roles of the Kahikatea tree in our native bush. The completed pages are assembled to create a little freestanding display (would also look great hung with string so they can twirl in the breeze) or they can be stored flat and read like a little book.
• There is a selection of pages included – use as many as 8 or as few as 3!
• Themes covered include: space for making a bark and leaf rubbing of your Kahikatea; space for sketching the leaves, cones & fruits of this tree; add to the drawing provided to show how Māori scaled the smooth branchless tree trunks to harvest the berries; add to the tree to show how many other creatures rely on this tree as a habitat/food source; research and share your learning about the historical uses for this tree; complete the fact file with the scientific name, age, height, trunk girth/diameter of the Kahikatea & where it’s commonly found
• This pack also includes a coloured Kahikatea tree fact file containing basic information about its common names, where it’s found, threats & historical use by Māori.
• An ‘I wonder’ task card containing 3 Kahikatea themed questions designed to prompt some deeper thinking about this unique tree.
• A coloured Kahikatea picture card
• *The foldable activity come with a supporting photograph sequence so you can see how to assemble the pages
There are no reviews yet.