This set of NZ native tree fact file cards are the perfect addition to the kiwi classroom! Print, laminate and use to add to your displays, or to simply support your learning around our magnificent native bush and forests.
This NZ tree themed set includes:
- 22 different tree fact files including: Kauri, Rimu, Pūriri, Pōhutukawa, Karaka, Kōwhai, Puka, Tī Kōuka (Cabbage tree), Ponga (Silver Fern), Nīkau, Tōtara, Kahikatea, Tītoki, Mānuka, Beech, Tanekaha, Rātā, Mataī, Kākābeak, Hoeoreka (Lancewood), Karamū & Matipo/Māpou
- One side of the card contains basic facts about each tree (including their scientific names & alternative names that they’re known by, where they’re found, the height/size they grow to, threats they face, use by Māori & other historical/present uses)
- The other side of the card contains “I wonder” questions to prompt deeper thinking about each bird (e.g. Puka trees hold the record for having the largest entire leaves of any tree in NZ! What’s the longest leaf you can find & measure? Do some research to discover the story about William Colenso & the sacred, fenced Puka tree found in Whangururu…
- These cards are great as a quick 5 minute time fillers during transition times or as prompts for pair-sharing
- The “I wonder” side of the cards can be used as a spring board into independent research
- Make 2 copies of the cards (one sided) and use for playing ‘Memory’, ’Snap’ or ‘Go Fish’. Use the cards to buddy your kids up by handing out the cards and having them find the other half and share their information…
- Take your fact file cards with you during outdoor learning—simply print double sided, laminate and use a jump ring to connect them together at the corner. Store in your class library for easy referral.
- Use the cards as inspiration for the children to design their own cards about a native tree of their choice…
There are no reviews yet.